History of the Callahan School
The C. M. Callahan School was built in the year 1930 for a cost of $116,000! The cost of construction was $110,00 and $6,000 for equipment.
In 1954 an addition was built for a total cost of $175,000. This addition included a remedial reading room, cafeteria, teachers' room, as well as the basic classrooms.
The school was named after Mr. Cornelius M. Callahan who served on the School Committee from 1905-1920, and who also served as chairman for six years. The auditorium was named for Martha B. Parker who was a first grade teacher in the East School for many years.
The C. M. Callahan School has had nine principals: Julia Drummey, Wilda Vose, Edna Frost, Louise Nugent, Eugene Thayer, Richard Talanian, Robert Fox, John Monahan and the present principal, Robert M. Griffin.