(FS) Food Services
WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL!
Healthy Changes in Our School Cafeterias!
Dear Norwood Families,
This September, Norwood school cafeterias are meeting tough new federal nutrition standards for school meals, ensuring that meals are healthy and well-balanced and provide students all the nutrition they need to succeed at school. Now is a great time to encourage your kids to choose school lunch!
School meals offer students milk, fruits and vegetables, proteins and grains, and they must meet strict limits on saturated fat and portion size. Starting in School Year 2012-2013, school lunches will meet additional standards requiring:
- Age-appropriate calorie limits
- Larger servings of vegetables and fruits (students must take at least one serving of produce)
- A wider variety of vegetables, including dark green and red/orange vegetables and legumes
- Fat-free or 1% milk (flavored milk must be fat-free)
- More whole grains
- And less sodium
School meals are a great value and a huge convenience for busy families too! Elementary meals are $2.00 and Middle School and High School meals are $2.50/$2.75. Breakfast is available at the Balch, Callahan, and Oldham Schools for $1.00.
Healthy Students, Healthy Schools is the new guidance document for regulations for competitive foods and beverages sold in schools. Click here for a copy of the document.
We look forward to welcoming your children to the cafeteria this fall. Click here for monthly posted menus on the Norwood Schools website, or if you have any questions, you may call the food service office at 781-440-5827.
NUTRIKIDS PAYMENT CHANGES:
The 2012-2013 School Year looks like it is going to be one of many changes.
We have learned that Nutrikids has changed its online payment system, and will be moving away from Paypal and going to Heartland Solutions.
Norwood will be moving our payment system on Monday August 27, 2012. Payments can still be made on MyNutrikids.com until Monday at 10:00am. After Monday all transactions will need to take place on the Heartland Solutions website. The MySchoolBucks.com website will be available on Wednesday August 29th for prepayments in the system. We thank you for your patience during this conversion time.
The new website for online payments will be myschoolbucks.com, this link will take you to the new website where Nutrikids has transferred account information for your ease.
The new system specializes in school payment systems, and promises to make the transition as easy as possible. The new system will charge $1.95 per transaction.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to the food service office at 781-440-5827.
Thank you for your participation in the school lunch program, we wish you a great year ahead!
Food Service Director
The Free/Reduced Lunch Program is a valuable resource for those families who are eligible. All enrolled students were mailed an explanation letter and application at the end of August. We strongly encourage you to apply for this benefit and allow us to determine your eligibility……you may be surprised!!
If at any time during the school year your financial situation changes, you may reapply. Please consider this benefit seriously. Click here to download the Free and Reduced Lunch Applications. If you have any questions, please call the Food Service Office at 781-440-5827 or email Jane McLucas.
NUTRITION RESOURCES ON THE WEB
- The National School Lunch Program
- The School Nutrition Association
- The School Nutrition Association of Massachusetts
- Let's Move - The First Lady's initiative to raise a healthier generation
- www.fankids.org is a GREAT resource for children and teens with food allergies! Check this site for ideas for coping with various food allergies.
- Log onto www.dole5aday.com , Teachers can download lesson plans aimed at grade 3 & 4 children, while a nutrition section as an encyclopedia on fruits and vegetables, including their nutrition values. The site also features games and recipes for kids.
- Log onto www.eatright.org , the American Dietetic Assoc. has games, activities and recipes for children!!
- As a parent you may worry that your child isn’t getting enough calcium, and that is a valid concern since many kids aren’t. For milk mania ideas check out: www.drink-milk.com and www.whymilk.com.