Link to NHS Library Holdings through Destiny Catalog
Books covers numerous groups who have made the United States their home examining the reasons they left their native lands, their hardships and adjustment to a new country. Also, included are biographies and fiction holdings.
Check out the films:
Websites through the Destiny Catalog
These are just a sample of some of the many websites you may access through the Destiny Catalog. There is information available about immigration during particular time periods - historical and present day, specific groups of people immigrating - historical and present day, rules and laws of the United States historical and present day, and access to primary source materials.
Also, the following websites offer information covering numerous immigrant groups and their experiences. Once you have accessed the site, you may refine your search by more specifically keying in your group of interest:
- Ellis Island
Visit Ellis Island. Research your family.
Did they enter the United States through this iconic center?
- Immigration in America
Outstanding site with information about different groups and different time periods. Photographs too from American Heritage.
- Immigration to the United States 1851 - 1900
Background information, documents, and interviews from The Library of Congress.
- Lower East Side Tenement Museum - Virtual Tour
"Between 1863 and 1935, 7000 tenants lived in 97 Orchard Street.
Meet some of these on the Virtual Tour..."
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
There are a number of steps to becoming a citizen today. Check out this site and see the United States requirements and procedures.
Use the Databases through NHS Library webpage
- Archaeology and Ancient Rome (updated 1/2107)
- Children's Games in Ancient Rome (updated 1/2017)
- Historia - Ancient Egypt (updated 1/2017)
- Historia - Ancient Greek Pottery (updated 1/2017)
- Historia - Greek & Roman Sculpture and Etruscan bronze work (1/2017)
- Historia - Roman Military (updated 1/2017)
- Historia - Frescos, Wall Paintings, Theater Masks; Pompeii (1/2017)
- Contests and Opportunities
- Faculty Resources
- GradPoint (opens in new window)
- Library Good Reads
- NHS Library Seminars (opens in new window)
- Immigrant Groups in the West
- Immigrant Groups in the West Making the Connections
- Immigration Symbols
- Immigration West
- Industrial Revolution Resources List
- Korean War
- Legacy of Jim Crow
- The 60's
- Women and the Industrial Revolution
- Working Women and the Industrial Revolution
- Working Women During the Industrial Revolution
- Against Slavery
- Louis Braille An Exceptional Man
- MLA and APA Style Guides
- Norwood High School Home
- Quick reference
- Research & Instruction
- Summer Work
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.