275 Prospect Street, PO Box 67, Norwood, MA 02062
781.762.6804 Phone | 781.762.0229 Fax

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.

History of Norwood and Norwood High School

A Brief History

"... Long used as a hunting ground by Indians, Norwood was first settled by Ezra Morse in 1678. He set up a sawmill in what is now South Norwood, The part of town to which the first concentration of families, almost all of whom were farmers, migrated over the next half-century."

Tiot means ""land surrounded by water"

http://www.norwoodma.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=146:history-of-     norwood&catid=286:information&Itemid=630

Old NH Sengraving

Color NH Stall

History of Norwood High School 

In 1889 the town’s first high school was built, located on a hill at the corner of Beacon and Bullard Streets, behind the Morrill Memorial Library.  The high school building later became an elementary school named The Beacon School.

Beacon Hill 2 Old School

In 1919, a combined junior – senior high school was completed on Washington Street. Within five years, despite an addition, the school was overcrowded and plans were made for a separate high school.

Noorwood, High School Building

In 1926 Norwood Senior High School was completed on 245 Nichols Street. The old high school included numerous additions and the former Henry O. Peabody School. 

The present Norwood High School opened in September of 2011 and was built directly behind the old high school.

NHSA Erial 

Link to Yearbooks online

The Argue not page

The Argue not paper page

Norwood School Song Sheet Music and Lyrics

School Song Lyrics

Notes 1

Notes 2